Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Crista's SOFTEST sugar cookies EVER!

Ok so here's the recipe for those cookies I've made a ton of recently. A good friend in our ward Crista gave me permission to share it!
Sugar Cookies
2 c. sugar
4 c. flour (I use an additional 1/2 c.)
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. sour cream
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
Cream sugar, shortening, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Sift 1 c. at a time into creamed mixture. Mix well. Dough will be very sticky. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Cover counter, rolling pin, and hands well with flour (as dough is a little hard to work with).
Roll dough to desired thickness. You may need to keep adding flour to work with it.
Cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet.
Bake @ 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting or butter cream frosting!
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
2-3 tbsp. evaporated canned milk
1/3 c. cream cheese, softened
3-4 c. powdered sugar
Combine all ingredients. Add more evap. milk or powdered sugar to spreadable consistency.
Buttercream Frosting
4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. butter (not margarine), softened
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. vanilla (for white frosting use clear vanilla)
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
4 tbsp. milk
Combine all ingredients. Add more milk or powdered sugar to spreadable consistency.

4 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Thanks - that made my day! Well, not as much as a freshly made batch on the doorstep would have, but close.

Kelly Hill said...

WAIT one minute.... upon further reflection, I realize you said you've made a "ton" of these recently. I felt bad thinking you didn't share only one measley batch.... but WOW... a ton? Really? Now I'm taking it personal.

You're holding out because I still haven't paid you the $14.50 I owe for you bringing me lunch at the church... huh?!

The Simpson Times said...

Don't take it personal....a couple of the batches she gave to us here in Cali. so she was a *little* too far away from your doorstep. I'm sure she'll make some for you! Thanks Steph for the recipe...I'll have to make some when I get motivated to spend hours making cookies. Maybe you should just be the designated cookie maker for all of us...lol! Love ya!

Kelly Hill said...

Okay, okay. I'll relax.

And I'm on board with Steph being the cookie maker. I'm about due for some. *hint hint*